In the modern construction slanted roofs are quite widespread. The information how to build a slanted shed roof in the fastest possible time and not too expensive can be found in this article.
A shed is indispensable outbuilding on a farm and in a garden area. Seasonal storage of tools and materials can be left here for a short-term. Advanced gardeners equip in sheds even a comfortable bathroom and shower stall. In short, with a shed existence, the use of it in any case can be found. The purpose of this construction is strictly utilitarian, so the outward appearance does not need many requirements, the main thing – ease of use and building. So, let’s talk about how to build a slanted shed roof without a lot of effort.
This covering type requires a minimum number of construction materials and it is still the simplest method for execution. This design, like other types of coatings, should be made with the use of wood as the basic material. It is taken as a basis for rafters and beams and other necessary elements. The coating material for a slanted shed roof can be varied: slate, metal tiles, shingle, and others.
Each item has a feature, as well as the slanted roof angle: it must be clearly equals to thirty five degrees. At the same time the folded roof may vary in the slant from eighteen degrees.
Before you start the working process, you should prepare all the necessary materials for roof installation:
- Wooden beams (they will serve as a supporting structure, so the size should be small, five or six inches in diameter, for example);
- Board (will be needed to perform the finishing of walls in the attic space, and they have to be placed along on the top of horizontally positioned boards);
- Slate and nails related to it (if you will use other roofing material than you need to choose the appropriate method of attachment);
- Materials for thermal-, steam- and waterproofing;
- Ordinary nails (they are needed for conventional mounting beams and wooden boards).
The roof installation
The phased installation of how to build a slanted shed roof comprises the following steps:
- At the first stage the mauerlat is installed. Place it at the ends of the outer wall on the pre-fixed waterproofing material. Mauerlat must be fixed with the help of anchor bolts, wires, or plugs. The lower end of rafter is attached at the mauerlat;
- Then make rafters. For their forming take a pine board with a thickness of 2 inches. In the lower end of the rafter leg cut out the opening for the mauerlat abutment. The upper end is also subjected to processing. Saw a bevel in it, which will let rafters to flex;
- In cases, where the span of a slanted roof is more than 15 feet, rafters are additionally strengthened with struts, which are installed under each leg;
- Fix the rafters along the construction edge on the one side, and on the other side fix them on a vertically reinforced beam;
- Attach a board (uncut) to the settle rafters, on which you need to lay a vapor barrier material (film construction). This material must be laid across the rafters and overlap. Joints are sealed with vapor barrier;
- Stack insulation boards on the film top. The insulation thickness of 8 inches is laid as a flat carpet. Above the insulation place a waterproofing canvas by a stapler;
- It is necessary to mount a vapor barrier. It prevents the penetration of moisture and condensation in the insulation. By a staple gun mount this material at the bottom of rafter leg. The stacking should be overlapping;
- On top of these layers stack a lathing. For its manufacturing use bars (50×50) and fix them across rafters. They can be placed with intervals or completely.
Covering a slanted roof
The next step of how to build a slanted shed roof should be the roof covering on a wooden decking. A variety of roof materials give a great fantasy flight. There are some of the most suitable and their distinctive characteristics.
- Floor decking – inexpensive and excellent protection from rain and snow.
- Slate – long operation for at least 30 years; easy installation. The downside is that it is not always advisable to use for small-sized sheds.
- Seam roof – very easy to stack, as it is a thin metal sheet; easy to install; but it is quite expensive.
- Tile or shingle – looks nice, but is suitable mainly for large sheds, which are made of stone.
- Different roll materials (bitumen felt, roofing, etc.) – very simple in styling, perfectly protect a construction from the rain; are durable and serve for a long time (on average 30-40 years); and differ with the cheapness.
Important! As a slanted roof often has not very big angle of inclination, it constantly accumulates water in the rainy season or winter. In order to avoid various troubles, you should mount in the roof a heating device, heating a roof from the inside and not allowing a large quantity of water to be accumulating at the surface.