Fans of “The Lord of the Rings” remember charming hobbit houses and probably have the desire to live there. How to build a hobbit house step by step?
If you are tired of wearying urban life or you do not have enough money to buy an apartment or house, you have an option of low-cost type of housing. You can follow an example of those desperate people, who made real hobbit houses from the well-known trilogy, and learn how to build a hobbit house step by step.
Since the first “The Lord of the Rings” was released, people are fascinated by hobbit houses covered with greenery and many prefer to live in a fairy hole. But such a house construction can be quite complicated and time-consuming task. The huge advantages of such a building are no fees for rent, electricity, water and gas. How can you build it?
Features of the hobbit construction process and house equipping
This building is an example of a minimal impact on nature and permaculture approach to life. This type of construction gives a life in harmony with the natural world and yourself. Consequently, as a result, you get the low cost, safety and stability of the building.
Here are the main features of the hobbit construction process:
- Materials for the building are “natural gifts” – trees, stones, straw.
- The construction size depends on your preference and number of its residents.
- The using of a solar cell will generate power, which would be enough to use a computer or television.
- A refrigerator can be replaced by a natural cellar – a pretty deep hole in the ground, which will always be in the shade and thus perform its function absolutely free of charge.
- Water also will not take any fees, because it will go to the house from a close natural spring.
- On the roof it is necessary to create a transparent dome, it will allow the sun to illuminate the whole home during the day and at night you may admire the starry sky.
- A fireplace will be heating your home. It is really better to make it of large stone, thus it will keep warm for a long time.
Basic tools and materials for construction
Main tools that are used for a hobbit hole construction:
- 1-inch chisel
- Those, who ever built such a house, were not professional builders or carpenters. Therefore, this type of construction is affordable for everyone. Basic skills are needed – the ability to work, self-confidence, resilience.
How to embody a dream of a hobbit home? Several intermediate stages
- The construction begins with the plot selection. The best plot can be selected on the hillside. Around this place you can find many stones that will be used for the foundation base, and the location is ideal.
- Determine the size of an underground hobbit house and dug a pit. Everything you may dig from the hole man be used for the foundation and walls retaining.
- Dig in oak poles for safety in the pits, line around with stones and tamp them.
- Start the foundation construction. Using stones erect along the perimeter of the foundation. Stones should be laid on a clay solution.
- Make the roof framework. The frame of home and its roof can be made of oak. On the oak poles a roof frame is mounted, laid the cross-bearing joists and roof frame comes to resemble a woven web. The ceiling is sheathed with sheets of plywood.
- Walls are aligned using a chainsaw. Walls have to be built of stones, clay and straw. Then they are plastered with lime for beauty and aesthetics. As a result you get a unique and environmentally friendly housing, similar to home of hobbits.
- At the same time, the roof construction is covered with insulation. For the waterproofing use poleintelen along the entire area. The construction top is covered with soil and turf. Such a coating has not only aesthetic look, but also its practical function. Turf gives the design idea, additional stability and is a good thermal insulator. Thus the house looks like a continuation of the hill.
- As the insulation, add straw for walls and floor, which is also very easy to make. Perform polyethylene insulation of soil and turf on the roof. Apply lime plaster on the walls that is better “breathing” and saves energy in contrast to the cement.
- The flooring has to be made of wood to maximize results.
Additional building highlights
More details of how to build a hobbit hole:
- Roof beams are supported on themselves.
- Use defective wood for flooring.
- Everything you need may be found on a garbage dump (windows, plumbing, wires, etc.)
- Firewood for heating can be the resource in abundance of the nearby area.
- The chimney should pass through the stones and plaster, giving as much heat as possible.
- A refrigerator is organized in such a way that it uses the cold air coming out of the ground through the foundation.
- Skylight in the roof may provide natural light during the whole day.
- Solar panels may supply a home with electricity for lighting and appliances
- Use dry closets.
- Water from the roof should be diverted into in the pond in the garden.
Several key points of the hobbit home incarnation
A hobbit style house in fact is a part of the slope to minimize the change of the natural landscape. Stones and soil after the excavation are used in the construction of the walls and foundation. The frame of oak trees can be left after thinning in the nearby forest. The self-supporting roof construction looks fantastic, but it is not so difficult to create.
The realization of your own dreams are not only fun, but also allows you to create a home that is part of yourself. Desire and creative flight of thought, coupled with the availability of natural material can make this extraordinary structure. At least, this is quite different from the modern home idea, because of the fact that the construction industry produces today, thinking only of the profit and convenience. The building of natural materials does not bring profit, but helps to get rid of carcinogenic poisons that are filled with modern buildings.
Of course, you may afford such a house for permanent residence just if you live in areas, where there is summer year-round. For northern cities this house will only serve as an entertainment. It can be constructed for children or used as a summer house for guests, who will surely be delighted with it.