How to adjust a door closer by yourself
A mechanism of a door closer provides gradual closing of the door automatically. Correct mounting and adjustment of this device ensures the proper operation of the closing fittings. An issue how to adjust a door closer is usually solved not just during operation, but also directly after the installation of the appliance on the door. This device has two major functions that can be adjusted: the speed of door closing and the so-called latching action (pressing the door to the frame). Controlling the door moving speed in the interval of 80° – 90° up to latching is available in some expensive models.
Automatic door closer works on the following, quite simple principle: the moment the door opens, a certain force is applied thereto; the spring is compressed through the arm pulling, piston and closer output shaft. Part of the body exempt from the piston is filled with oil; when the door is closing the spring inside the closer smoothly expands, and oil flows into its prior position. Controlling of the door closing is done by special control valves which influence the closing speed.
Some models of the hydraulic door closer are supplied with several additional functions: Back Check (wind brake), which ensures that the door doesn’t hit the wall during a sharp opening or wind gusts; the function of regulating the angle of operation; Delay Action will keep the door from closing for some period of time, which is very convenient for carrying small loads; Hold Open function presents the possibility to hardly fix the door in open position; smooth regulation of the spring power.
Specifications regarding to how to adjust a door closer
- You cannot fully unscrew the adjusting screws! The whole process is usually in charge of setting hydraulics – after unscrewing more than two turns of the adjusting screw the oil pumped there under pressure will leak out of the opening. At home filling the oil back will not work.
- When you are regulating the closing device the adjustment screws are supposed to be rotated slowly – a half-turn of each screw leads to serious changes in door speed.
- One more thing: turning the screw clockwise, we achieve increase of the door closing speed, while turning the screw counterclockwise it is correspondingly slowed down.
How to control an automatic door closer
Properly mounted door closer ensures that the door leaf is closed smoothly without snatches. However, during operation further adjustment may be required. For troubleshooting in a door closer structure we recommend considering the following tips.
- When handling an issue how to slow or, conversely, how to speed up closing of the door you need to adjust the control valve of the closer.
- In order to increase or decrease velocity of latching action, use the second adjustment valve.
- Regulating the spring force and the opening angle of the doors is carried out by means of the adjusting nut.
- To fix the door open, it is sufficient to tighten the clamp. To unlatch, you just close the door.
- All kinds of adjustments are made clockwise or anti-clockwise. The desired result determines the direction of movement the screws.
Note! For the efficient operation of the door closer, it is forbidden to prop the door with extrinsic objects or hang heavy things on them. It is advisable to change the grease in the hinge of arm joints twice a year. Also, the door closer must be regularly inspected and adjusted every six months.
Controlling the pneumatic door closer
- Adjustment of the bracket which attaches the mechanism to the door.
- Regulation of the air release rate by turning the screw which is placed right on the end of the device.
In situation when the door doesn’t completely close the way, you ought to adjust the bracket of the closer:
- Open the door; move the door stop out so that the cylinder is kept open.
- Slightly loosen the screws which fasten the bracket to the door, then pull the bracket further toward the door handle.
- Remove the stud attaching the cylinder to the bracket and slide it further out to a hole.
In case of too slow opening or when it slams shut, it is needed to control the pneumatic cylinder:
- Turn the adjusting screw on the pneumatic cylinder clockwise in order to slow the closing.
- To speed up closing of the door, you have to turn the adjusting screw on the cylinder counterclockwise.
In case the adjustment doesn’t help, you will probably need to replace the device. Bring your door closer to the home improvement service to check up whether the replacement fits your door hardware.