How to paint vinyl floors properly
Many people may wonder if it is possible to paint vinyl tiles at all, and it is – how should it be performed correctly? Let’s talk on how to paint vinyl floors in a proper way without being afraid to cause some damage to it.
Can you paint vinyl flooring and why should you paint it?
Despite the fact that the vinyl flooring is very durable and resistant to mechanical stress, it eventually gets abrasions and scratches which are sometimes too difficult to eliminate. As a result, the only effective way to restore the old vinyl flooring is a high-quality painting. You shouldn’t think that only pros can do that. Read the information below and you will get clear ideas on how to paint vinyl floor yourself.
For painting vinyl floors it is better to choose paints with a small amount of liquid elements in the composition (vinyl is afraid of too much water and moisture). Talking on paint types, polyurethane or alkyd paints are perfectly suitable.
You will need:damaging
- masking tape (which greatly facilitates the paint works)
- a chisel
- primer for leveling small surface flaws
- a brush and a roller for working with paints
- paint roller tray
- glasses to protect the eyes
IT IS IMPORTANT! Vinyl piles are covered with durable protective film, and, consequently, and paint should have the same properties. These is why we choose paints that have the same qualities (alkyd and polyurethane paints). However, before applying the paint onto the flooring in the room, carry out a test for its compatibility with the upper layer of the floor covering – use the small sample of the vinyl tiles that, for sure, had left in your closet.
Before you begin, you need to clean the flooring from dirt and debris. Remember that the flooring should not be in spots that are removed only by means of skins. Using skins, you are destroying the protective film of the vinyl flooring and create countless small scratches, in which eventually will clog new dirt and moisture.
Before the painting the flooring is trimmed with very, very soft skins for the paint to “be caught”, otherwise, the paint may peel off. After this soft sanding, clean the coating from the construction dust which, for sure, appeared in the process of sanding. The painting work can be started after the floor is completely dry only.
Once the wall is protected from paint with masking tape, priming stage can be started. The perfect choice is oil-based primer. After it is applied, it is necessary to wait for several hours before starting to paint the vinyl flooring. The next step is the painting itself. Use your favorite brush or roller. The process of painting is quite usual and ordinary. After finishing, the complete floor surface should be completely dry. After the paint has dried, you need to apply polyurethane layer which gives extra protection to the vinyl coating.
- Vinyl flooring passes a special factory process during which the melamine resin is added to it - this makes the flooring moisture-resistant (that’s why it is so popular nowadays). Therefore, for the painting process to have good results, use polymers that are combined with melamine resin. It is worth noting, that the varnish based on epoxy or polyurethane blend fits perfectly. In cases of using matte paints, they should also be made on the basis of polyurethane. You can also apply without any fear paints based on epoxy- they are super wear-resistant.
- The high cost of the materials provides good protection guarantee – it will not skimp. In comparison with conventional materials like linoleum or laminate, it has more complicated structure. This flooring has different strength, stability and is easy in installation.
- It should be noted that the thickness of the vinyl piles provides better sound insulation properties. It is also worth noting, that the thicker the coating is, the longer it will serve you. Don’t think that good flooring is thick flooring – it’s a myth. Thick coatings eliminate the problem of creaking of the floor because dust is ground into a fine flour under its weight.
- If you want your flooring to look like wood or to look like stone, use modern decorative paints that really can imitate the appearance of other finishings.