Process nuances of how to build a cinder block wall
A cinder block is an artificial building stone, obtaining by pouring and pressing a mixture of cement and slag. For this material production relatively inexpensive elements are used, which affect the final cost. In addition, it is easy to work with. Because of these qualities these stones are deservedly popular. Let's carefully examine its advantages and how to build a cinder block wall in a simple way.
Strengths and weaknesses of cinder block materials
- easy way of installation – it is not required to ask professionals for laying, allowing you to build a structure on your own;
- small recessed base;
- long service life. Planned operating time - 100 years;
- relatively low product price;
- high reliability and durability under the condition of appropriate waterproofing;
- fire resistance – a wall easily withstands open fire and is not destroyed after fire;
- profitability - this follows from a low cost of raw materials and labor content.
Among negative qualities of this material is the fact that it is very afraid of water, and entails additional waterproofing works on all sides of construction. It is also a high thermal conductivity. Using these stones for exterior walls of a construction is a prerequisite for their insulation, without it the cost of heating the house can be increased in several times.
Types and characteristics of cinder blocks
There are two types of this material:
- Full-bodied - used for the construction of basement, ground floor, columns, load-bearing structures. This is the most durable form of cinder blocks, used for interior walls and partitions building.
- Hollow - used for the erection of walls and partitions. Its properties depend on the amount and type of internal cavities. These products are made with a round, oval and rectangular inner chamber. It is believed that blocks with round and oval (oblong) voids are the most durable.
How to build a cinder block wall?
Construction process steps:
- After a foundation is ready, check its flatness with the help of a water level, as masonry does not tolerate any irregularities. If there are deviations, they need to be eliminated.
- A prerequisite in the process of how to build a breeze block wall is the waterproofing laying. As mentioned above, cinder blocks do not tolerate moisture, and if you do not fulfill this condition in the structure, your walls may get wet. Waterproofing should be made in the usual way - the whole foundation plane is settled with roofing material.
- For ease of wall erection you need to expand cinder blocks on both outside and inside of the basement. Because these stones have different dimensions, building process here will go faster than the brickwork.
- It is necessary to use a solution with the plasticizer. Due to the plastic solution stones are more convenient to be placed. All these operations can be made by a team of three people.
- Before the beginning of masonry it is required to lay out corners of the future structure. You need to control the flatness by a plumb line to avoid irregularities in the masonry.
- When corners are laid at a height of 4-5 stones you can begin to masonry walls. Next, consider how to build a cinder block wall using different types of masonry.
How to lay cinder block wall constructions?
The thickness of walls is chosen based on climatic conditions of a region, where the construction is performing and specific properties of slag filler, which affect the insulating properties of the building material. With temperatures at 68°F the optimum wall thickness should be 17 inches, in colder climates - from 25 to 35cm.
There are three options for the wall laying:
- Wall masonry of cinder blocks with the next ready-made application of lime mortar on inner walls, but on outside walls - a thick layer of plaster on cement basis.
- Walling of cinder blocks, and then outer walls are laid with layer of bricks.
- Wall construction of cinder mixture: walling is made by pouring the mixture into a cinder formwork. The plastering with a layer of not less than 1 inch is necessarily here.
The answer to the question of how to build a wall with breeze blocks differs little from the brickwork process, but at the same time has its own nuances. Cavities in materials may have a different purpose. During masonry they need to be filled with a solution that provides greater durability, but if the building is going to be large, then they need to be inserted with additional reinforcement. Also special attention should be paid to reinforcement belt, which is used to distribute the load from slabs to walls. It should be slightly larger than the masonry of bricks.