How to hang wallpaper reliably for many years
Wallpapers are considered as one of the most popular ways of wall decoration. Relatively quick installation, safety and environmental friendliness, as well as the opportunity to repair it with your own hands - it is not a complete list of advantages of this material. In addition, its analogues cannot boast such a wide variety of colors and shades, patterns and full of drawings. To make you stylish paintings look as well as in the manufacturer's catalog and not fall down within a week, you need to learn in details how to hang wallpaper on the wall.
What do you need for wallpapering?
- construction knife
- wallpaper glue
- two different size brushes
- wallpaper spatula
How to calculate the amount of necessary wallpaper?
Not to throw away the excess material after the work completion and not to run to the store for a few more rolls, you need a responsible approach to the estimates. There are the standard 32 ft in a roll, which means that you may sufficient get only four pieces if the ceiling height is less than 8 inches.
To calculate the amount of required wallpaper, you need to measure the perimeter of the room. The resulting number is divided by the width of the roll (it may differ among different brands). Thus you will get the required number of cuts. The resulting value is divided by the number of cuts per roll, which was calculated earlier (depending on the wall height).
Be careful, these calculations are only valid for the wallpaper without pattern, since they do not need to join each other. If you get patterned wallpaper, then consider the margin for adjustment and fit. You can make it the easiest way during the calculation of the number of lanes on a roll, adding to a ceiling height of 1 ft more for cut docking.
Preparing walls for wallpapering
Under no circumstances, you should not begin the hanging process without preparing your walls. If there is glued wallpaper on the walls, it must be removed. If the walls were painted, then you need to get rid of the paint. Wallpaper is usually applied to a clean surface, or a paper substrate.
If previously the high-quality laminated wallpaper was used, you only need to remove the top layer, leaving a smooth wall. Otherwise, thoroughly clean the surface. The paint should be washed off or thoroughly sanded. After that, the wall is washed from dust and dirt, treated with primer.
How to hang wallpaper: step by step instructions
Once the primer is completely dry, you can start wallpapering.
- With the help of a plumb line draw a vertical flat strip at a distance of 4-6 inches from the corner. This is where you need to start the installation to make all the bands straight.
- Monochrome wallpaper can be cut into strips at once, but with the wallpaper pattern will need to join and cut as needed. You may conduct work on a large table, but the floor can also be an option. The surface must be flat and dry. Pre-clean the floor or place a clean polyethylene film there. Roll out the roll, measure out the desired length + a small machining allowance, then bend the strip and carefully cut with a knife along the fold.
- It is also necessary to prepare wallpaper paste. Dilute it strictly in accordance with the instructions on the packaging. Try to prepare only the amount of glue that you need.
- In most cases, the glue is applied to the material itself, with the exception of a flizeline wallpaper base. In order to accurately perform the installation, you need to spread your cut on the floor face down and thoroughly go through a roller or wide brush dipped in glue. Then fold the wallpaper edges to the center, or in two, to give material a chance to be soaked.
- Carefully unstick this cut and place the upper part horizontally at the ceiling along the incised vertical stripe. Attaching the first half, level this surface, expelling air under the canvas with the use a special roller or spatula. The move should be going from inside to outside, gradually and consistently. It is better to remove excess amount of glue and immediately clean the surface with damp cloth.
- Then glue the bottom part of the cut. Similarly, straighten all the bumps and get rid of the air. After that, the excess wallpaper on the top and bottom should be trimmed with a sharp knife.
- The new cut should be necessary glued joint to joint with the previous one. Thus you can not only avoid the curvature and differences in the pattern, but also to make the border less noticeable. If you choose wallpaper with a pattern, then preliminary try to fit painting and dock it with the already glued.
- All wallpaper borders should be coating with a special plastic roller or trowel, to ensure that they are well stuck. Be careful, if the manufacturer warns against using wallpaper roller then gently press down the edges just with your finger.