Marble flooring pros and cons
Marble tile is one of the most attractive options of flooring for different rooms. It is an indicator of luxury and elegance. So, let's know about marble flooring pros and cons.
The marble flooring
The floor should be a robust and very practical addition to the aesthetic qualities. In rooms with high traffic, the flooring should be of better quality, not to be exposed to attrition and not to be afraid of mechanical damages and loadings. If the purpose of the repaired room or its design project assumes the creation of a prestigious interior, the marble tile will become the excellent decision.
The natural stone floor is durable and strong and isn't and is not particularly picky about cleaning. A marble tile, being one of the most effective and prestigious materials, creates unique ornaments on a floor thanks to the patterns applied to it by nature.
In spite of the fact that marble is considered as a fragile material, thanks to the high density it is not worse than granite or other breeds of a natural stone applied in the creation of floor coverings. Marble is used as a floor material for kitchen, bathrooms, halls, living rooms, etc.
Characteristics of material
Marble is one of the most popular materials for the internal and external facing of buildings. The tile from marble can be seen rather often in interiors of rooms of different function. Natural marble is rich with a variety of patterns and coloring. Ornaments on a tile are unique, exquisite and unrepeatable.
The quality of marble flooring materials reminds granite. It is very durable, thanks to high-density practically does not absorb moisture. As a floor covering material, it is very durable, isn't exposed to attrition and fading, isn't afraid of mechanical damages, it can withstand the heavy loads. It is unpretentious in cleaning and is capable of keeping esthetically attractive look for a long time.
In order to make the surface of marble be smooth, there are applied two methods:
- grinding - is made by means of the special tool. The surface is ground until it becomes ideally equal, remaining at the same time to be mat;
- polishing - is made to give the tile a glossy shine.
Types and colors of a marble tile
Extensive world fields of marble allow to choose material of the necessary color and the invoice: white with grayish streaks, beige with golden shine, anthracitic black, malachite green, red with crimson stains and thin whitish lines, marble of color of an ashy rose – all this is not the complete list of colors of this amazing stone. Having found a suitable color palette it is possible to approach the choice of a floor.
- Glossy. It l reflects light well but has very slippery surface. It is used for a decor, as a continuous floor covering it is applied extremely seldom.
- Non-slip. Thanks to special handling of its surface, such tile can be applied as a floor covering in rooms with a very high level of humidity: baths, saunas, pools, etc.
- Standard. Has the average level of gloss and only a polished front layer.
- Lit ceramic. Represents the marble tile made based on porcelain. The material consists of two layers: a lower layer of ceramics and marble upper layer. A benefit of this version is in lower cost, but the disadvantage - low level of reliability and durability as compared with others of marble tiles
- Non-standard. It has the different sizes and the forms; it is used, as a rule, for a creation of patterns and ornaments.
- A tile made of small marble crumb. The basis of this version is made of ceramics. The marble crumb or dust is applied only as filler.
Read more: types of marble flooring.
Pros and cons of marble flooring
- Color: almost endless choice of colors and shades. At the same time it doesn't matter – whether tiles of monophonic color are necessary or multi-colored with various shades, the choice is really huge. As it is a natural stone, each separate tile will slightly differ from another. That’s why it is possible to make a floor, which, will be much more unique on appearance, than created from other floor material.
- Gloss: the surface of marble tiles is smooth and shiny. A brilliant marble floor looks very effectively and emphasizes luxury of the house and wealth of the owner. The feature of marble tile polishing allows creating special shades of color.
- Naturalness: marble is completely natural, environmentally friendly material. Besides, if it is disposed of after the expiry of the useful life, it can't lead to chemical or biological environmental pollution.
- Scratches: the polished marble floor is quite easily damaged from constant use. The damaged marble floor can be recovered with complete elimination of traces and scratches, but it will be quite difficult and expensive process.
- Care: special care of a marble floor will be required. It is not only cleaning but regular polishing of a surface. For such work, especially in a case of the big area of a marble floor, it is necessary to invite specialists.
- Cost: The main lack of a marble floor, first of all, is associated with the cost. A marble tile is one of the most expensive floor coverings available in the market. The tile of the standard size can cost around $30 per square meter.