How to repair parquet flooring yourself
Parquet floors are considered the best floor coverings. New flooring is always well polished and has a lacquer coating, it always looks nice and solid. But time is cruel for everything on Earth. Parquet gradually becomes unusable, cracks occur. The cracks then begin to create crack planks. Replacing the old flooring by a new one is very expensive pleasure. It is much cheaper to carry out the repair of the old parquet. Typically, parquet has to be restored once a decade. It all depends on the conditions under which the parquet flooring is being exploited. We offer you is the step-by-step instruction how to repair parquet flooring yourself in a correct way.
The beginning of the repair
To remove tarnish and loss of parquet color, you need to use the sander. Small scratches on the floor are easily removed with a filler or by grinding. After the performed operations, parquet is needed to be varnished or waxed. If parquet had begun to creak, it must be partly re-laid. Scrapes are usually due to bad parquet installation or use of incorrect technology.
Some swelling may also occur because of contact with moisture. In case you wonder how to repair parquet floor water damage, there is the one way only – re-laying of the parquet. To replace the cracked or broken pile, you need to completely remove it from its the adhesive base. Then you need to make preparations and fit the new pile size. Use special mastic for parquet. After the pouring you need to install the new pile. During this process it is necessary to put a heavy load, first removing all speaking mastic – this is one of the key aspect in parquet flooring repair. It will help to hide the replaced pile among the other ones.
After the sanding you should perform the proper varnishing. The varnish should be applied in several layers. The coating is durable, if several layers of lacquer will be applied. To make a better grip for all layers, polishing should be carried out after each layer is applied, except the last one. Working with varnish requires not forgetting about safety. You must always remember that the paint is flammable. While working with lacquer necessarily use respiratory protective equipment. You must not forget to ventilate the room constantly.
Old parquet sanding
The parquet sanding was called the removal of the surface layer of the timber in the past. Nowadays, with the advent of new technology and different grinders, sanding began to resurface the parquet flooring. This operation is carried out in several steps. Sanding parquet flooring gives you the opportunity to save the flooring for much longer time than just the removal of the top layer. For sanding operations, use a variety of grinding machines. They can be drums, tapes, etc. The manual sanding of the parquet flooring is performed using a loop. The initial grinding is very rough and strongly depends on the professionalism of the one who performs it. Grinding should be done without flaws for you not to find holes and inconsistencies later. It is performed in the following order.
9 steps of the work
- Parquet is subjected to rough grinding. For such grinding, use a special machine - drums or orbital sanders. Vehicle drum type have a high performance, but requires a high skill. Coarse sanding removes all the bumps and the old paint.
- After rough grinding, the fine grinding of the old parquet is performed. To do this, use disc surface grinding machine (Read more on Wikipedia). Fine sanding cleans remaining irregularities and flaws.
- The third step is grinding the most inaccessible places.
- People often wonder how to repair scratches on parquet floor. The answer is clear – you need to putty all the cracks. It is highly recommended to put on the whole parquet, but not only to the cracks, chips and dents. Applying putty on the entire floor requires large financial costs – but with local putting, you will not see the cracks, but you will see a discrepancy in color.
- After the drying of putty, fine grinding is carried out. It removes an unnecessary layer of putty, leaving it where it should be - in the crevices and pores.
- Before varnishing the surface, do not forget to remove accumulated dust and debris.
- When cleaning is finished, you can start cover the parquet with lacquer.
- While covering the parquet flooring with lacquer for the first time, you need to wait until it dries completely. Then perform an intermediate sanding. It will remove any excess lint and debris. This grinding will improve adhesion layers.
- When the intermediate sanding is completed, you must vacuum the parquet and then cover it with lacquer again.
Remember, that you will not need to fix parquet from damage of serious type, if it is properly installed. Such flooring will be long and reliably. Parquet floor repair will not be needed within the following 10 -15 years.