How to install marble floor
A marble floor will give an elegant look to any room, even a bathroom. But how to install marble floor? The laying process is not very different from laying of a ceramic tile.
Instructions of marble tile laying
- clean textile;
- plywood and fasteners (in a case of need);
- serrated scraper;
- marble tile;
- spacers for a tile;
- protective tape (in a case of need);
- saw with water cooling, the sliding carriage and a diamond edge (it is possible to rent);
- protective gloves;
- respirator or a protective mask;
- white Portland cement;
- thick working gloves;
- scraper with a rubber nozzle;
- a piece of a sacking;
- acetone for cleaning of the tool.
1. Putting glue for marble laying
The surface on which you want to put the tiles should be smooth and clean. To align a surface basis, put the sheets of plywood on it. Wear thick working gloves. Put glue on a floor surface, using for this purpose a serrated scraper. To define the necessary amount of glue for completion of all work, use instructions of the glue manufacturer. Lay the tiles only on a small section of the floor for once time.
2. Cutting of a marble tile
It is very probable that you should cut a tile to fill space between a floor and a wall, or around corners. The problem with cutting of a stone consists that tiles often break along the cracks, which are available on a stone. Cut off at first three-quarters of a tile, and then, having turned it by 180 degrees, the remained quarter. If a stone is very fragile, wrap up a tile by a protective tape before you cut it. The most suitable tool for marble cutting - a power saw with water cooling, with the sliding carriage and a diamond edge. It is better for to rent a saw.
Don't forget to wear goggles, working gloves, a respirator or a protective mask when you cut a tile.
3. Laying marble floor
Lay the tile on top and strongly pressure it. Don't stack a tile with the sliding movements, moving it into a glue layer, because in this case glue will begin to gather much in seams. Make sure that the glue did not get to the front surface of the tiles.
4. Adjustment of a marble tile
Install tiles and spacers for a tile in such way that all seams between tiles were straight. Before continuing a work, let's dry out to a tile and glue during the night. Usually, seams between marble tiles become narrow. However, it is better to leave gaps (2-3 mm) between tiles based on small deviations from the square-shaped tiles with inaccurate cutting.
5. Cement grout of seams
Prepare a portion of a grout from a white Portland cement of a dense creamy consistency. Moisten seams between tiles by means of a damp sponge. Then fill seams with cement, according to recommendations of the manufacturer of a tile. By means of a scraper with a rubber nozzle, evenly distribute cement on the moist area of a floor.
Let's cement grab within 10 minutes. Sprinkle the dried-up layer of cement with water and press on the seams by means of a piece of a sacking. Remove an excess grout or glue before they finally are dry. Wipe the seams to smoothness. Then wash out the stone surface with water. Clean tools with water or acetone.
How to install a marble mosaic on the floor?
- The cladding with a marble mosaic will require a special glue of white color because marble absorbs everything very well and quickly changes the color forever. Therefore, if to use usual gray glue, then the marble mosaic will be significantly darkened.
- Another point of mosaic laying — the tool, by means of which it is necessary to press down a sheet of a mosaic. The ordinary trowel will be suitable for a grout. Thus, you get a for mosaic laying. It is impossible to press a mosaic into glue by fingers at because laying will turn into waves and there won't be the smooth plane.
- After laying of a mosaic, the seams need to be grouted. It is possible to use a usual grout on a cement basis or epoxy.
Such unusual marble floor will perfectly look in a bathroom.